I Am a Living Soul, Not a Memory Disk

I can download data, but I can’t download a soul. Stop collecting life. Start living it.

I Am a Living Soul, Not a Memory Disk - showing a smiling bald man holding a coffee mug over his laptop outdoors, with a sweeping scenic mountain range in the background.- madgenes -  Stop collecting information and start experiencing life. Discover why wisdom begins when knowledge becomes lived experience.

How is it possible?   

You read and understand a book about how to ride a bicycle, yet you can't ride a bicycle. 

You could study its balance mechanics and describe how it stays straight. 

But the lesson starts when you sit on the seat, lose your balance, laugh at yourself, and pedal again.

That little wobble teaches me something a book cannot.


There is a difference between knowing and experiencing life. 

I can collect information about courage, kindness, friendship, love, failure, nature, parenting, education, and wisdom, etc. 


But when I  face fear, forgive someone, hold a child's hand, make a mistake, help another person, or sit quietly with my own thoughts, that knowledge will always be information.


And this is where I think many of us are getting trapped.

We are becoming extraordinarily informed while becoming disconnected from the experience of being alive.


    When Knowing Everything Still Isn't Enough

    I love learning. 

    At 60, I am still curious. 

    I read, observe, experiment, teach, create, question, and sometimes change my mind.


    My age has taught me  that information alone never could have taught me:

    A full mind does not necessarily mean a full life.


    A child can watch twenty videos about swimming. 

    Another child can memorize every rule in a swimming manual. 

    Neither has actually learned to swim until water touches the body.


    That principle applies to everything important.

    Reading about compassion is not compassion.

    Knowing the definition of courage is not courage.

    Understanding gratitude is not feeling grateful.

    Memorizing a recipe is not tasting the meal.


    Information can point toward the door.

    Experience asks me to walk through it.


    Research into embodied learning supports this distinction. 

    Learning is not purely a mental activity; bodily engagement and meaningful physical interaction can play an important role in how people learn and understand. (PubMed)


    That matters for education.

    A child does not only need more things to know.

    A child needs more things to experience.


    The Google Engine Inside My Head

    Sometimes I joke that modern humans are becoming walking search engines.

    Ask me the capital of a country, I can look it up.

    Ask me what happened 500 years ago, I can search.

    Ask me how to bake bread. I can find ten recipes before the kettle boils.


    But ask me, “What are you feeling right now?”

    Suddenly, the search engine becomes quiet.


    Ask a child, “What did you learn today?” and the answer may be a chapter number.

    Ask instead, “What surprised you today?” and something different may happen.

    A story appears.

    A feeling appears.

    A question appears.

    that is the kind of learning we should protect.


    Because education should not merely fill a child's mental storage. 

    It should help that child become more observant and alive.


    Active learning engages students directly through discussion, problem-solving, and hands-on participation rather than treating learners as passive receivers of information. 


    Harvard also reports stronger learning outcomes from active-learning approaches. (bokcenter.harvard.edu)


    The lesson is simple:

    Don't just ask, “What did you learn?”

    Ask:

    “What did you do with what you learned?”


    My Family Became One of My Greatest Classrooms

    I have spent six decades learning from life, but some of my deepest lessons did not come from books.

    They came from people.


    My wife is a mathematics teacher. 

    Living alongside a teacher has given me a fascinating front-row seat: mathematics may be written in numbers, but learning happens through a human being.


    A child may understand a mathematical procedure today and forget it tomorrow.

    But when that same child discovers the pattern independently, solves a problem after struggling with it, or suddenly says, “Oh! Now I get it!”. Something deeper has happened.

    The information has become experience.


    I have also learned through raising two daughters and a son.


    Children don't just listen to what we teach.

    They watch how we live.

    They notice whether Dad keeps his word.

    They notice whether Mum stays patient when tired.

    They notice how we respond to failure.

    They notice whether adults apologize.

    They notice whether love is spoken only in words or demonstrated through ordinary day-to-day behavior.

    That realization humbled me.


    I cannot teach resilience convincingly if I collapse whenever life becomes inconvenient.

    I cannot teach gratitude while I constantly complain.

    I cannot teach children to live in the present while staring at my own screen during my conversation.


    Children learn the life they see.

    That may be one of the most important lessons we should remember.


    The Difference Between Information and Wisdom

    Information tells me what.

    Knowledge helps me understand how.

    Experience teaches me why it matters.

    Wisdom begins when I know what to do with all three.


    You give a child a book about gardening, just imagine.

    The child can memorize the names of flowers.

    She can learn about soil, sunlight, and water.

    She can even draw the perfect garden.

    But nothing grows on the page.


    Eventually, she has to put her hands into the soil.

    She has to plant a seed.

    She has to water it.

    She has to wait.

    She has to discover that too much water can be harmful.

    She has to experience disappointment when something dies.


    And one morning, she sees a little green shoot pushing through the earth.

    That moment contains a lesson no paragraph can completely deliver.


    This is why I believe experiential learning matters so much for children and all.


    Let children build things.

    Let them cook.

    Let them make mistakes.

    Let them ask awkward questions.

    Let them walk in nature.

    Let them solve real problems.

    Let them experience consequences safely.


    Let them discover that failure is not always an enemy. 

    Sometimes it is feedback wearing an unfriendly shirt.


    I Am Not Separate From Life

    There is another layer to this idea that has become increasingly important to me.

    I am not an isolated brain carrying a body around like luggage.

    I am a living organism participating in a much larger system.

    I breathe because plants, oceans and other living systems participate in the exchange of gases.

    I drink water that has travelled through an extraordinary natural cycle.

    I eat energy that originally came through sunlight and living ecosystems.

    My existence is relational.


    A tree does not exist alone.

    Neither do I exist alone.


    This is what the idea of interdependence helps us see:

     life is not simply a collection of separate objects. 

    It is a network of relationships.


    That changes how I look at a classroom.


    The teacher affects the child.

    The child affects the teacher.


    Parents influence children.

    Children influence parents.


    The environment influences behavior.

    Behavior changes the environment.


    We are constantly participating in one another's lives.


    So when I tell a child, “You matter,” I am not of fering a decorative sentence.


    I am acknowledging something real.

    Your presence changes the system you are part of.


    Stop Collecting Life; Start Participating in It

    Here is the practical shift I want to make.

    I don't want to stop learning.


    I want to change the relationship between learning and living.

    Instead of reading five articles about mindfulness, I can sit quietly for five minutes.

    Instead of watching ten cooking videos, I can cook something.

    Instead of reading about kindness, I can notice someone who needs help.

    Instead of studying nature only from a screen, I can walk outside.

    Instead of telling children that mathematics exists everywhere, I can ask them to calculate the cost of a meal, measure a room, compare prices or design a small budget.

    Instead of teaching communication only through worksheets, I can let children practice listening to another person.


    The question becomes:

    How can I turn today's information into today's experience?


    Try this simple four-step habit:

    Learn , Do. Notice then Reflect.


    Learn one useful idea.

    Do something with it.


    Notice what actually happens.

    Reflect on what the experience taught you.

    Then repeat.

    That small cycle can transform passive learning into lived understanding.


    A Five-Minute Return to Reality

    try this with children.

    For five minutes, put everything down.

    No phone.

    No television.

    No book.

    No lesson plan.


    Go outside if possible.

    Feel the air.

    Look carefully at one tree.

    Listen for three different sounds.

    Notice the temperature against your skin.

    Watch how light falls on something ordinary.


    Then ask the child:

    “What did you notice that you usually miss?”


    Don't rush to explain the answer.

    Let them discover.


    For older children, try something deeper:

    “What did you feel?”

    “What changed when you stopped looking at the screen?”

    “What did your body notice before your mind named it?”


    These questions teach awareness.

    And awareness is more valuable than simply accumulating answers.


    What I Want My Children, and Myself to Remember

    After 60 years of living, and loving, I have become less interested in appearing knowledgeable and more interested in being awake.

    I still want to learn.

    Absolutely.

    But 

    I want my knowledge to become behavior.

    I want my understanding to become compassionate.

    I want my ideas to become action.

    I want my education to make me more alive, not merely more informed.


    the question is not:

    “How much information can I give my child?”

    Maybe it is:

    “How many meaningful experiences can I help my child have?”


    “Am I filling minds, or am I helping human beings discover how to think, feel, question, create and participate?”


    “Am I collecting life or actually living it?”


    The Wisdom of a Living Human Being

    I don't believe the answer is to reject books, technology, research or information.

    Quite the opposite.

    Use them.

    Learn from them.

    Question them.


    But don't confuse the map with the journey.

    A map can show me the mountain.

    It cannot make my legs climb it.


    A recipe can describe the meal.

    It cannot taste the meal for me.


    A book can explain love.

    It cannot love someone on my behalf.


    Information is powerful.

    But experience gives information meaning.

    And wisdom is what happens when understanding enters life.


    “I hear and I forget. I see and I remember. I do and I understand.”


    That is the invitation I want to leave with every one:

    Don't become a warehouse of information.

    Become a participant in your own existence.


    Conclusion: I Cannot Download a Soul

    I can download a million pages.

    I can store thousands of photographs.

    I can memorize facts until my head feels like an overcrowded library.


    But I cannot download courage.

    I cannot download the feeling of my child's hand in mine.

    I cannot download the smell of rain after a dry afternoon.

    I cannot download the silence of sitting beside someone I love.

    I cannot download the experience of failing, getting back up, trying again and discovering that I am stronger than I thought.

    Those things must be lived.


    that is the beautiful limitation of being human.


    I am not designed to store life.

    I am designed to experience life.


    So today, before you read another article, watch another video or search for another answer, take a pause and look around you.

    Someone you love may be sitting nearby.

    The sky may already be changing.


    Your body is breathing without asking permission.

    Life is happening without waiting for you to finish your research.


    So I ask myself and you should ask yourself too:

    If I already know so much about life, when will I actually begin living what I know?


    My transformative insight is simple:

    Don't let your mind become so busy collecting the map that your soul forgets to take the journey.

    A small invitation

    choose one thing Today, you know but have not yet lived.

    Then go live it.


    Call someone.

    Walk outside.

    Make something.

    Listen deeply.

    Forgive someone or yourself.

    Play with your child.

    Teach through experience.

    Look at the sky.

    Be fully there.


    Because the greatest lesson may not be waiting on the next page.

    The greatest lesson may be waiting in the next moment.



    FAQ’s

    1. How can I stop collecting information and start living life?

    Learning is valuable, but information becomes meaningful when you apply it. Spend less time endlessly consuming content and more time experiencing, creating, connecting, and taking action.

    2. What is the difference between knowledge and wisdom?

    Knowledge is knowing something; wisdom is understanding how and when to use it. Wisdom grows when knowledge is tested through real-life experience, reflection, and action.

    3. Why is living in the present moment important?

    The present is the only moment we can actually experience and influence. Constantly replaying the past or planning the future can distract us from the people, opportunities, and experiences available right now.

    4. How does experiential learning help children learn better?

    Children often understand ideas more deeply when they can practice, experiment, make mistakes, and discover solutions themselves. Real experiences turn abstract information into something meaningful and memorable.

    5. How can parents help children spend less time on screens and enjoy real life?

    Parents can create simple opportunities for outdoor play, family conversations, creativity, cooking, reading together, and hands-on activities. The goal isn't simply less screen time, it is making real-world experiences more engaging and meaningful.





    If this article made you pause, don't just save it for later.

    Share it with one who needs the reminder that learning is not only about collecting answers, but it is about becoming fully alive.

    Like, share, and subscribe if you want more reflections on awareness, and the art of living consciously.






    Ather Ahmed
    Ease Provider | Wisdom Educator | Lifelong Learner
    Helping human beings become more aware, so they can consciously create the life they live.






    #LifelongLearning #ExperientialLearning #ConsciousLiving #ParentingAndEducation #HumanPotential


    Suggested authority references & placement notes

    1. Harvard Bok Center for Teaching and Learning, placed under Section 2: “The Google Engine Inside My Head”, where active learning and the difference between passive information consumption and participation are discussed. Harvard provides teaching guidance and research summaries on active learning. Harvard's Active Learning resources

    2. PubMed / embodied-learning research, place under Section 4: “The Difference Between Information and Wisdom”, where the article explains how bodily engagement can contribute to learning. The review provides a research-based foundation for embodied learning. Research review on embodied learning

    3. NIH learning research, recommended as an additional reading reference, especially alongside Section 6: “Stop Collecting Life; Start Participating in It.” NIH has reported research showing how experience and exposure can influence subsequent learning. (nih.gov)

    Post a Comment

    0 Comments